Monday, October 15, 2012

Springfield --> Chicago & Back in Under 24 Hours

I had an exciting weekend of travel. Dan and Annie picked me up from work on Friday afternoon and then we drove South on 65 to Branson. Branson is gorgeous - the leaves are starting to change in the Ozarks and the scenery is/was stunning. We pulled in to the airport around 5:30 and said our good-byes. I made it though security (wearing socks) in about 5 minutes then settled in at Famous Daves to watch the Yankees beat the Orioles and eat some St Louis Style ribs, coleslaw and mashers. Yum!

Then the fog rolled in.

Because Branson is in the Ozark Mountains and has many lakes in the region when fog rolls in it rolls in strong. Flight was canceled but instead of standing in line to reschedule my flight to Chicago for the next day I got a hot tip to call 1-800-Air-Tran and do it over the phone in minutes. Then the gentleman who gave me the tip started talking with me about Drury (where he was an undergrad) and turns out he was heading back to Springfield so we carpooled back to the Queen City of the Ozarks together.

Then the fun began.

On Saturday morning Annie (on her last day as a two year old) ran away at the end of our run. Then I got dressed in my wedding attire and took the car to the airport. No socks this time in security - I had a wedding to catch!



Air Tran was scheduled to land at 4:57 with a 5 pm ceremony in Oak Park. Luckily we landed early. Luckily I was the first one off the plane. Luckily I was wearing my gold flip flops to sprint through Midway and into the first cab I saw. Luckily the ceremony started about 7 minutes late. Luckily my cabbie was a gem and I made it in time for the bride to walk down the aisle as I pulled on my mink stole, shoved my feet in my heels, threw on my backpack and gave the cabbie all the cash I had.

Since this is Annie's blog I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I sat next to a pooch on the flight. She was an Australian Kelpie service dog from Queensland named Kotav (or something) and was flying home from her ranch into Branson back to Chicago-land.


1 comment:

  1. Mary - great story ---"Luckily, luckily luckily!" We were so lucky to have you with us!

    ReplyDelete

Analytics