Celebrating Love
My Uncle and Godfather, Neil McGuinness, left this world this past August. Neil was such a fantastically fun uncle who was always generous with a laugh and present to celebrate life's highs and lows with a twinkle in his eye.
An enduring memory of mine of Uncle Neil was his encouragement of me and my 2nd cousin Shaun McG. to become e-mail pen-pals during what was my freshman year in college. Shaun wrote back as diligently as I emailed him, prompting me to visit Uncle Neil, Aunt Joan, and cousin Shaun in San Diego while I was in Southern California for Michigan's epic 1998 Rose Bowl victory. Of course, such a good time was had that I didn't hesitate to take Joan and Neil up on their invitations for subsequent visits. I will never forget the Fourth of July I spent in San Diego and the fun we had spending Independence Day (and night) at the Coronado Yacht Club with cousins little Neil, Monique, Barbie, and Shaun.
The first time Neil met my, now, brother-in-law in Steamboat Springs he was the one to ask Chris, pointedly, "What are you planning to do after waiting tables?" or something along those lines to which Chris replied that he might, perhaps, put his engineering degree to good use one day. On that trip to to the mountains Neil hit the slopes with gusto and even received a loving nickname of "Racing Stripe" from us kids. :)
Never one to turn down a game or a sailing race, Neil's competitive spirit and zest for life are truly qualities that I always try to emulate in my own life.
![]() |
| Aunt Wini and Uncle Joan toast the night with Aunt Joan and Mom |
It's hard to remember Neil without also thinking of my lovely Aunt Joan. Their love and commitment to one another was truly an inspiration. At my sister's wedding in 2005 we knew which cabin was theirs when we could hear Neil (who was hard of hearing) reading the newspaper aloud to Aunt Joan (whose vision was failing her).
![]() |
| Roses in the Scripps College Rose Garden |
Never one to turn down a game or a sailing race, Neil's competitive spirit and zest for life are truly qualities that I always try to emulate in my own life.
![]() |
| Dad, Uncle Neil, Mary, Aunt Wini, and Uncle Brian in April 2008 |
Gone but not forgotten, Uncle Neil will be missed by many, near and far.
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sandiegouniontribune/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=190097821




Beautifully written tribute. And what fun you had with him. This really captures some of his spirit.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely guy-hugs to you all <3
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful Mary, so lovingly written and descriptive. He sounded like a great I guy. I wish I had gotten to spend time with Neil and Joan.
ReplyDelete