Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Making glass paperweights

Last weekend I was treated to an extremely special adventure. I took a paperweight making class at the glass studio in Springfield. This is something I have wanted to do for years and years - I was thrilled to finally be in a hot glass studio creating beautiful pieces of art!

Terry Bloodworth, Springfield Hot Glass Studio owner / instructor, and Mary
I was the only student signed up which was nice to have the one-on-one attention. Terry was a fantastic teacher - he demoed each type of paperweight then guided and coached me as I made my own pieces.

Glory Hole on left, rod being heated in the flame in the middle and the glass melting crucible on the right
The rods are heated before going to the vat of melted glass then we dip the rod in the glass to gather up the molten glass. After gathering the glass on the end of the rod you have to "rotate, rotate, rotate" the rod so that the glass doesn't drop off it. Then you can do cool things like dip it in colored glass and roll it against the marver to swirl the colors or twist and twirl the glass to make a knot or dip it in soda ash to create bubbles.

My paperweights in the oven cooking after being created
It was such a thrill working with Terry in the studio and creating these pieces - I am so lucky to have had this unique opportunity!

Mosaic I designed to be put in paperweight


Didactic Paperweight
Bubble Swirl

Two color swirl

Coral Reef
Endless Knot









6 comments:

  1. Love the pieces you made. Amazing colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! It's so wonderful that you got to do something you have "always wanted to do"... sometimes we forget to do those things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it - how beautiful!! and such a thrill to learn how to do that.
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it - how beautiful!! and such a thrill to learn how to do that.
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Analytics